Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The new morning drink, not for children

Several weeks ago I watched Dr. Oz whose show that day focused on which country/culture had the secret to longevity.  On this show he reported [and I'm paraphrasing] that in their research they discovered that Sardinia has the highest population of male centenarians in the world.

    
(Photos courtesy of Wikipedia)

In fact they visited a man who at 105 has a glass of wine at 10:00 am one in the afternoon and one in the evening. This man is Giovanni who easily won an arm wrestling match with a man half his age [read here].  Now in our American culture it is a strange notion to have a small glass of red wine before lunch given the many substance abuse issues reported. In this part of the Mediterranean these people live in areas where they work in fields, have terrains that are harder to walk on which affords them a lifestyle that enables them to burn more calories. About 490 per hour. And combined with plenty of exercise the local foods are richer in omega fatty acids, etc. is what contributes to their healthy daily diets.  This wine that many Sardinian residents consume on average three times daily is called Cannonau.  It is fermented from a grape varietal  Grenache from Spain.  My disclaimer is that I am not promoting habits that will perpetuate any substance abuse issues that any reader might have, I am simply providing facts about a beverage that I like to consume.  Because of my amateur wine enthusiast life style I am interested in this subject.

All that being said, after I watched that show I was on a mission to find this type of wine from Sardinia.  I visited my local BevMo! who had not heard of it, I dare not enter a Cost-Co on the weekend - and I didn't, but I did score at Cost Plus-World Market.  They were having a wine promotion [$5 and $6 selected bottles] so I slowly walked through each isle in the wine section where I stumbled upon  Los Dos a wine from Spain.  Los Dos is a delicious Grenache and Syrah blend.  Read all about my love for Syrah from my older post here.  So imagine how excited I was to find that this existed.  My favorite red wine mixed with the secret to longevity in Sardinia!  I felt like I hit the jackpot...but what if it didn't taste good?  For only $6 I was willing to try.  In fact to draw you into my experience I'll describe the flavor as I have a taste from a shot glass right now...yes at 8:30 am. Oh what I do to give you all a complete story.


(Courtesy of www.winesfromspainusa.com)

This varietal is very light and underwhelming at first sip.  In fact the alcohol content is only 14% per volume.  What I mean by underwhelming is when you hold the glass to your face the vapors don't rush up your nose as it would with a fermented grape with a higher alcohol content [like a Merlot grape] upon contact.  As you swoosh the beverage around your mouth the flavors of mulberry and raspberry are present and light.  It finishes so smooth that you don't feel like you've just taken a swig of a red wine, no bitter aftertaste, no burning sensation down your throat.  Very airy, just a pleasant experience.

I don't necessarily need to live to the ripe old age [yes I used a wine pun] of 105 like Giovanni but my life is good.  I have many blessings and things about which to be grateful.  I also have quite a few things to check off my bucket list which requires a bit of longevity, so if I'm to drink anything that will help along my already pretty healthy lifestyle why not choose the elixir of Sardinia?

I ask this as I finish my shot glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

map...

My drink...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

des by


Blog elements designed by
Digital elements created by
Ashalee Wall Designs

"Time won't give you time..."

Logo

Archive

arch list

- cereal a Poem Amazing photos Award # 7 Award #1 Award #2 Award #3 Award #4 Award #5 Award #6 Black history month Blogging is a world. Brain Power Business Career slump CCC a worthwhile church to visit in NYC Challenges Choices Choices II Choices III CRRA Do the right thing Doing business with relatives - um not so much Dr. Terarai Trent E- books Eco Friendly Event Events Faith Favorite items Fight the power. Foreign film gadgets Get the hint buddy gluten free Gratitude in the small stuff Green event Happy New Year 2010 Health Health - cake Health - compost Health - coping Health - dark chocolate Health - food blogs Health - laundry detergent Health - memory Health - raw sweets Health - Shape-Ups Health - thoughts Health - trader joe's Health - your brain Heath Home page Humor inspiration Little known tips Make someone smile Mama Africa! Meditation Mensa quotes MLK holiday Movie quote Movie quotes Movie review movies music My other blog natural immunity Only time will reveal one's true character. Organizations Penmanship Product review Quote Quote me once quote me twice... Quotes that are worthy Quotes that are worthy part deux Random thoughts Rebuild Recycle review Review - holiday Shopping Silent Saturday Silent Saturday photos SITScation 2009 soda Stalking Stand Up Sustainable people Taking a break is good. taste buds tea Technology Tithe your time Toast to someone that you love. Toastmasters trash bags Trivial Pursuit Tuesday toast - Parenting isn't easy Tuesday Toast - pay it forward Tuesday toast - Public programming Tuesday toast - the underground Tuesday toast - who doesn't want to be a billionaire? volunteer wheat free Wood Instruments Wordle #1 Wordle #1 winners Wordle #2 Wordle #2 winner Wordle #3 Wordle #3 winner Wordle #4 Wordle #4 winner Wordle #5 Wordle #5 winner Wordle #6 You can do all things Your body is a temple