Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Out on a Limb Day #1

(photos courtesy of veer.com)

CCP0000707 - Antique radio
I am pooped I just came home from an all day volunteer shift at the radio station.  Since they let me set my own schedule so the words slave driver doesn't apply.  I met about 20 dedicated, funny, helpful and accommodating people whose personalities were wonderfully colorful.  The station is having an annual pledge drive. There were lulls during the less popular shows and crazy busy times of phones ringing off the hook during the more popular shows.  Nothing unmanageable though.  I spoke with the public all day long. Have you ever done this? It is an exhausting task to undertake for free.  The station did pay for our meals all day, which was thoughtful.  Restaurants and local cooks donated all of the [mostly vegan] food.  I was happy to not have to shop, chop, & cook for myself in order to eat tonight.
CYP0102926 - Old Fashioned White Philco Radio
The public is such a trip to deal with on a moment by moment basis.  I was labeled as "the poor new volunteer who received most of the weird calls" today.  The fantastic Volunteer Coordinator J. showed me the ropes and asked me to step into the ring.  I obliged, answering the calls of mostly very nice but I did get some doozies. One man had turrets syndrome, a few folks called just to hang up in my ear hang and my favorite story is next.
SIP1018884 - Retro radio
A woman called during the regular evening news program of a male host.  She had notes on the hosts topic.  Funny right?  Drive time editorial content producing.  Using a tactic taught to us by J. the Volunteer Coordinator, she was asked if she wanted to simply make a donation.  She refused, only wanting to get her point across.  She asked us to take notes of her thoughts and opinions, walk them into the booth while the man was on air to tell him that 'he was wrong and should recant his commentary, make an on air apology, and then discuss her thoughts.'  Um sure, we'll get right on that task lady.  She was offered to be transfered to the COMMENTS LINE.  This was set up to not indulge these types of callers.  Can you feel the pain of the person whose job it is to answer the COMMENT LINE? There is an extension for folks like her especially set up in order for them to rant onto a VM as to not bug anyone at the station.  Well she didn't take that option.  She was then asked if she wanted to be put on the air with the host to discuss her thoughts with him on a national platform.  But no, she swiftly back peddled from that suggestion, she ranted a tad more and then she hung up.  Thwarted!  Or so we all thought.  Now that would have made interesting radio.
CBP0017387 - Radio in Shape of Violin
Moments later, she called back to MAKE A PLEDGE!  After all of the drama she actually donated cash.  Unbelievable I tell ya.  People are funny!!
CBP0017367 - Radio
I enjoyed the experience so much that I scheduled myself to go back on Friday.  I look forward to the kookiness that awaits.  Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Now that's an adventure of a day! Great blog fodder too!! And have I told you how much I love vintage radios...and how many I own? So I'enjoying the photos..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dealing with the public IS quite a trip, isn't it? And, good for you for volunteering....and volunteering to GO BACK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband volunteers for the fund drive twice a week at the classical radio station which is conveniently located about a mile from the house. He loves to do it for the same reasons you mentioned plus he raves about the food - and when you consider my cooking, it is like a night out at a swanky restaurant :D Glad you enjoyed your time!

    ReplyDelete

map...

My drink...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

des by


Blog elements designed by
Digital elements created by
Ashalee Wall Designs

"Time won't give you time..."

Logo

Archive

arch list

- cereal a Poem Amazing photos Award # 7 Award #1 Award #2 Award #3 Award #4 Award #5 Award #6 Black history month Blogging is a world. Brain Power Business Career slump CCC a worthwhile church to visit in NYC Challenges Choices Choices II Choices III CRRA Do the right thing Doing business with relatives - um not so much Dr. Terarai Trent E- books Eco Friendly Event Events Faith Favorite items Fight the power. Foreign film gadgets Get the hint buddy gluten free Gratitude in the small stuff Green event Happy New Year 2010 Health Health - cake Health - compost Health - coping Health - dark chocolate Health - food blogs Health - laundry detergent Health - memory Health - raw sweets Health - Shape-Ups Health - thoughts Health - trader joe's Health - your brain Heath Home page Humor inspiration Little known tips Make someone smile Mama Africa! Meditation Mensa quotes MLK holiday Movie quote Movie quotes Movie review movies music My other blog natural immunity Only time will reveal one's true character. Organizations Penmanship Product review Quote Quote me once quote me twice... Quotes that are worthy Quotes that are worthy part deux Random thoughts Rebuild Recycle review Review - holiday Shopping Silent Saturday Silent Saturday photos SITScation 2009 soda Stalking Stand Up Sustainable people Taking a break is good. taste buds tea Technology Tithe your time Toast to someone that you love. Toastmasters trash bags Trivial Pursuit Tuesday toast - Parenting isn't easy Tuesday Toast - pay it forward Tuesday toast - Public programming Tuesday toast - the underground Tuesday toast - who doesn't want to be a billionaire? volunteer wheat free Wood Instruments Wordle #1 Wordle #1 winners Wordle #2 Wordle #2 winner Wordle #3 Wordle #3 winner Wordle #4 Wordle #4 winner Wordle #5 Wordle #5 winner Wordle #6 You can do all things Your body is a temple