Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Sitar - A cup of Joe on me!

Don't worry everyone, yes this post is all about coffee but I promise that I'm not going to let you experience any Deja-Poo whatsoever. What's Deja-Poo?  You know... the feeling that you've heard this crap before... nope that's not what this post is about :-). Well let's start off by listing a few stereotypes about coffee drinkers about which you may or may not be familiar:

  1. It will stunt your growth.  Uhhhh, do kids actually drink coffee?  If not what is the stunt risk with adults, personality or character growth?  Hum not sure about that one.
  2. It causes heart disease and cancer.  Actually recent studies from the Mayo Clinic have shown that there is no connection between coffee and increased risk of heart disease or cancer.  Especially since related studies indicated that the habit of smokers combined with coffee and people with other high risk behaviors do have an increased risk.  So coffee is not the fall guy here either.
  3. Coffee drinkers are arrogant.  Now that's funny.
Okay, I am not a coffee drinker and I never really have been.  I love coffee flavored ice cream and coffee flavored hard candy but that's about the extent of my coffee experience.  I never actually liked the idea of it because growing up in grade school every teacher I had [who drank coffee] in the morning had horribly bad breath. When I got to junior high, my parent friends would talk about their need/cravings for coffee to get them right. In fact I recall some of them saying that without it jitters and head aches would soon follow.  Even as a 6 through 12 year old, I knew that FOR ME keeping one's sexy did not include the regimen of morning coffee. Why would any cute boy like a girl with coffee breath?  So needless to say that coffee and I would never build a life together, but I digress...
Papua Cinnamon Coffee.
(photo courtesy of drinkpapua.com)
Today, as a beverage enthusiast, I am a total tea person but have recently become curious about coffee and it's actual affects and side affects of lore.  I often receive coffee and bottles of wine as gifts around the holidays.  My freezer has been stocked with packs of ground coffee for months so when I had a conversation with Mareeka [you recall that post about my favorite vegan speak easy], about the beverage that I don't consume she educated me about a brand that she swears by as a health practitioner.  And since many of you drink coffee, I felt obligated to share. The brand is called Papua.

What makes Papua unique and different from Dunkin Doughnuts, Starbucks and other brands is that it is Alkalizing, Non-Dehydrating, and Detoxifying. One more thing it is Delicious, according to testimonies on their web site.

(Papua New Guinea independent state flag)
I personally love that it is Rain Forrest Alliance Certified, organically grown, and is not based upon a large corporately owned plantation. It is also certified Kosher. Papua is grown in thousands of small coffee villages in Papua New Guinea that produce over 70% of the annual exportable crop.  

Since I am no coffee connoisseur, I cannot attest to it being "delicious." It just tastes like coffee to me. And I do like the flavor of coffee, but delicious compared to what? Other brands?  I've never had coffee from Starbucks, Dunkin Doughnuts or any other place in my life.

However after each cup of Papua, and I've had several in preparation for this blog post, I can confirm that my breath was not offensive in any way.  I can only guess that the bad breath side affect is because of animal milk as creamer, granulated sugar, artificial sweeteners.  I tasted the Papua both with and without sweetener.  The roast recommended to me was the dark and medium roast blend so that is what I tried. What I can say is that freshly brewed it tastes smooth and smokey, not bad at all for a morning beverage.
During my second cup I added natural sweetener, no creamer.  I used Eco-BeeCo which is the only sweetener I keep in my house.  As a reforming sugar person I swear by this product [that I'll write about in a forthcoming post.] After drinking Papua, I did not experience head aches or jitters. I admit that I enjoyed both cups very much. But for the coffee drinkers here is more interesting facts about the Papua flavor taken right from the website:

"Papua’s unique flavor and delightful aroma has its origins in the world-renowned Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee plants, which were transported to Papua New Guinea in 1927. The beloved traditional flavors from this original plant line were embellished with floral and fruity hints from the new environment, giving rise to a coffee that is truly exceptional.

We selected the best Arabica beans, grown naturally and farmed without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and fungicides. Because it is grown in high altitudes, unlike its flavorless counterpart Robusta, Arabica is a much higher quality coffee bean and has been consistently selected for the European and Japanese markets.

Papua’s unique flavor and delightful aroma has its origins in the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee plants, which are known to yield the world’s most celebrated coffee. These gourmet beans and the rare Peaberry are roasted exclusively to satisfy the connoisseur. We offer the greatest variety of roasts, grinds and spiced organic coffee."

In closing, both fitness and health professionals highly recommend Papua coffee to their clients for its benefits that you can read about here.  In fact if any of you all are willing to I am putting on a challenge.  I am giving away a pack of Papua coffee and a pack of Eco-BeeCo to one of you coffee drinkers who leaves a comment for me.  After I read all comments I will pick and announce the winner.  All entries/comments must be entered by December 1st, 2013.

Rules:

  • If you subscribe to my blog you receive this post in the form of an email.  
  • Responding to the email that you receive does not constitute a legitimate comment.  
  • The rule is that YOU MUST LOG ONTO www.strokeofliving.blogspot.com and leave a comment at the end of this post in the "Comments section" and the person whose comment is the most unique to me will win both the Papua coffee and a pouch of Eco-BeeCo.  
  • Anonymous entries will be disqualified.  
  • I must know who you are to set up delivery of the prize if you win.  
  • Do not post any personal info in your comment like a phone number or address. 
  • ONLY POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you think I don't have it. 
  • This is a global blog so your comment is not confidential to me anyone can read it.  
  • That being said, I will contact the winner directly before I post who the winner is and will communicate with that person via email to receive your delivery info.

Let's close the year with something fun!  Rev up and start your engines...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dale,
    I loved this post about coffee! I am a coffee drinker for sure! I drink only 1 cup per day maybe 2 if I have something that needs to get done! Please please please send me the sample of the papua coffee!

    ReplyDelete

map...

My drink...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

des by


Blog elements designed by
Digital elements created by
Ashalee Wall Designs

"Time won't give you time..."

Logo

Archive

arch list

- cereal a Poem Amazing photos Award # 7 Award #1 Award #2 Award #3 Award #4 Award #5 Award #6 Black history month Blogging is a world. Brain Power Business Career slump CCC a worthwhile church to visit in NYC Challenges Choices Choices II Choices III CRRA Do the right thing Doing business with relatives - um not so much Dr. Terarai Trent E- books Eco Friendly Event Events Faith Favorite items Fight the power. Foreign film gadgets Get the hint buddy gluten free Gratitude in the small stuff Green event Happy New Year 2010 Health Health - cake Health - compost Health - coping Health - dark chocolate Health - food blogs Health - laundry detergent Health - memory Health - raw sweets Health - Shape-Ups Health - thoughts Health - trader joe's Health - your brain Heath Home page Humor inspiration Little known tips Make someone smile Mama Africa! Meditation Mensa quotes MLK holiday Movie quote Movie quotes Movie review movies music My other blog natural immunity Only time will reveal one's true character. Organizations Penmanship Product review Quote Quote me once quote me twice... Quotes that are worthy Quotes that are worthy part deux Random thoughts Rebuild Recycle review Review - holiday Shopping Silent Saturday Silent Saturday photos SITScation 2009 soda Stalking Stand Up Sustainable people Taking a break is good. taste buds tea Technology Tithe your time Toast to someone that you love. Toastmasters trash bags Trivial Pursuit Tuesday toast - Parenting isn't easy Tuesday Toast - pay it forward Tuesday toast - Public programming Tuesday toast - the underground Tuesday toast - who doesn't want to be a billionaire? volunteer wheat free Wood Instruments Wordle #1 Wordle #1 winners Wordle #2 Wordle #2 winner Wordle #3 Wordle #3 winner Wordle #4 Wordle #4 winner Wordle #5 Wordle #5 winner Wordle #6 You can do all things Your body is a temple