Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tribute to my Grand Mothers for black history month

Grandma's hands [one of the best Bill Withers songs ever] are courtesy of www.veer.com
CBP0030838 - Woman's Hands
Tyler Perry's work is a platform for opening the conversation.  His characters are loved by millions but some prominent black minds feel he's still a minstrel.  Both sides of the argument are valid however as with any independent producer/writer/director/actor I am impressed that his stuff got made at all.  The fact that he's monumentally successful doing it is a bonus.  Although I have no idea why the names Madea [which Tyler made popular] or Big Momma [which Martin Lawrence's made popular] are supposed to be the arcetypes of all older black women as the family matriarchs.  I have never ever referred to anyone in my family as Madea or Big Momma.

Madea seems to be a derivative of My Dear.

Big Momma is just ridiculous.

But both characters have been successful movie franchises.  This post will not pontificate or postulate as to the reasons.  No need.

My grand mothers names are Rose Mae and Willie Lee, it never dawned on me to call them anything accept grandma.  Does my family have nicknames?  Of course, but no person on either side of my family called my grand mothers Madea or Big Momma; nor would they dare.

Rose or Grammy as I called one grandmother would sweetly correct you, pray with you, give you 12 scriptures and send you on your way if you were to call her either of those names.

Willie Lee or YeYe as I called my other grandmother would set you straight by verbally cutting you to shreds and then sending you on your way if you were to call her Madea or Big Momma.  The matriarchs of my family have passed on and I celebrate their lives as beautiful, bright, God fearing, complicated, funny, loving, bold women.

Due to more technical difficulties I couldn't upload photos of my beautiful grand mothers... Darn!  Trust me they were special women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

map...

My drink...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

des by


Blog elements designed by
Digital elements created by
Ashalee Wall Designs

"Time won't give you time..."

Logo

Archive

arch list

- cereal a Poem Amazing photos Award # 7 Award #1 Award #2 Award #3 Award #4 Award #5 Award #6 Black history month Blogging is a world. Brain Power Business Career slump CCC a worthwhile church to visit in NYC Challenges Choices Choices II Choices III CRRA Do the right thing Doing business with relatives - um not so much Dr. Terarai Trent E- books Eco Friendly Event Events Faith Favorite items Fight the power. Foreign film gadgets Get the hint buddy gluten free Gratitude in the small stuff Green event Happy New Year 2010 Health Health - cake Health - compost Health - coping Health - dark chocolate Health - food blogs Health - laundry detergent Health - memory Health - raw sweets Health - Shape-Ups Health - thoughts Health - trader joe's Health - your brain Heath Home page Humor inspiration Little known tips Make someone smile Mama Africa! Meditation Mensa quotes MLK holiday Movie quote Movie quotes Movie review movies music My other blog natural immunity Only time will reveal one's true character. Organizations Penmanship Product review Quote Quote me once quote me twice... Quotes that are worthy Quotes that are worthy part deux Random thoughts Rebuild Recycle review Review - holiday Shopping Silent Saturday Silent Saturday photos SITScation 2009 soda Stalking Stand Up Sustainable people Taking a break is good. taste buds tea Technology Tithe your time Toast to someone that you love. Toastmasters trash bags Trivial Pursuit Tuesday toast - Parenting isn't easy Tuesday Toast - pay it forward Tuesday toast - Public programming Tuesday toast - the underground Tuesday toast - who doesn't want to be a billionaire? volunteer wheat free Wood Instruments Wordle #1 Wordle #1 winners Wordle #2 Wordle #2 winner Wordle #3 Wordle #3 winner Wordle #4 Wordle #4 winner Wordle #5 Wordle #5 winner Wordle #6 You can do all things Your body is a temple