Monday, November 30, 2009

Mensa quote Monday - A tribute

Instead of participating in cyber Monday, where you have to spend money why not participate in Mensa Monday right here, while I go off to search for more movie quotes that I like.  By participating in this you save cash while spending brain cells.  FYI, Mensa - an international fellowship organization for people with IQ's in the top 2 percent of the general population.  You certainly consider yourself to be in that percentile.  Right?

One of my favorite humor blogs, and I have several, is Crazy People I've Worked With.  It is the brainchild of Anita, who has evidentially worked with a variety of lunatics who have touched her life so prominently that she dedicated an entire blog to both sharing those experiences and having us submit stories for her to post so everyone can be universally mortified.  If I were to have thought of this idea mine would have been called Crazy People With Whom I've Worked.  But proper English would not have been funny and it wouldn't have worked so it's best that I didn't create that blog (snapping fingers - Darn!). 

Anywho, THIS post is not quite a meme* but rather a tribute because I love the idea of a challenging cerebral exercise.  For the non bloggers a Meme*- according to the urban dictionary is - an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media).  


Anita introduced her followers to a game from the Washington Post where readers where to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition. Or supply alternate meanings for common words.   Here are a few of the Washington Post winners:

  1. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.
  2. Reintarnation - Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
  3. Dopeler Effect - The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
  4. Pokemon, (n.) - A Rastafarian proctologist.
  5. Oyster, (n.) - A person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.

Here are a few of my attempts:

  1. Populiar- an infamous wolf crier.
  2. Arachofrobia - the fear of fabulous and very large ethnic hair
  3. Produce- Any number two playing card who works in Vegas full time.
  4. Bushwhacked - The state of mind of an American who considered our 43rd president to be the pied piper.
  5. sorrow- remorse one develops after eating caviar.

Many of you are very funny so let's see if your cranium can come up with one or two.  Thanks Anita.  I told you that I might use this idea on my blog. I hope that Crazy People I've worked With wins for best humor blog.  You so deserve it :-).


Put the credit card down and open up your dictionary.







9 comments:

  1. I don't have anything to contribute but I particularly love cashtration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirroar - a mirror that screams your inadequacy's back at you.

    My best, Lynn
    *where did you get your tooth powder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, it's my first day here and there's a test. I didn't study and I have nothing to offer at the moment. I like the idea but not on a Monday. I love #2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, I so appreciate the kind words, Dale!

    Heh, you're so right, I totally ended my site name with a preposition, but the word 'whom' never rolls off my tongue naturally, no matter how hard I try. I usually wind up feeling like a guest on Masterpiece Theater when I say it. ;)

    You SO need to investigate when the Washington Post holds this contest again, 'cause ya got several winners here!

    Thanks again, I'll be linking to this from my blog so hopefully even more people will get to read your great stuff.

    Crazily yours,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale, thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't remember how I found you. I am blog surfing tonight and having a wonderful time doing so. I never seem to have the time to meet new (to me) bloggers. I can't wait to read your rants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue Violet and Jen - there is never pressure to participate in challenges, it's just that interactive blogging is fun and a great way to get to know people.

    Lynn, your Mensa word is hilarious. Thanks. I don't make the organic herbal tooth power. I left another comment on your post today with the link to where I make my purchase. Keep me updated.

    Anita, thanks for the compliment and for linking my blog to yours - very cool of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. During a bout of insomnia last night a few popped into my head:

    Pension Headache: A tension headache caused by worrying if you will ever have enough money to actually retire.

    Multipoo: A small hybrid dog that is very hard to housetrain.

    Hearache: When your ears begin to ache from hearing someone blathering on about nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mensa is hosting a workshop helping people learn what they need to do to get on a board of directors.

    It should be fund and is open to the public.

    We need leadership that matters!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Diane-Garnick/188133090053?ref=ts#/event.php?eid=362651540191&ref=mf

    ReplyDelete

map...

My drink...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

des by


Blog elements designed by
Digital elements created by
Ashalee Wall Designs

"Time won't give you time..."

Logo

Archive

arch list

- cereal a Poem Amazing photos Award # 7 Award #1 Award #2 Award #3 Award #4 Award #5 Award #6 Black history month Blogging is a world. Brain Power Business Career slump CCC a worthwhile church to visit in NYC Challenges Choices Choices II Choices III CRRA Do the right thing Doing business with relatives - um not so much Dr. Terarai Trent E- books Eco Friendly Event Events Faith Favorite items Fight the power. Foreign film gadgets Get the hint buddy gluten free Gratitude in the small stuff Green event Happy New Year 2010 Health Health - cake Health - compost Health - coping Health - dark chocolate Health - food blogs Health - laundry detergent Health - memory Health - raw sweets Health - Shape-Ups Health - thoughts Health - trader joe's Health - your brain Heath Home page Humor inspiration Little known tips Make someone smile Mama Africa! Meditation Mensa quotes MLK holiday Movie quote Movie quotes Movie review movies music My other blog natural immunity Only time will reveal one's true character. Organizations Penmanship Product review Quote Quote me once quote me twice... Quotes that are worthy Quotes that are worthy part deux Random thoughts Rebuild Recycle review Review - holiday Shopping Silent Saturday Silent Saturday photos SITScation 2009 soda Stalking Stand Up Sustainable people Taking a break is good. taste buds tea Technology Tithe your time Toast to someone that you love. Toastmasters trash bags Trivial Pursuit Tuesday toast - Parenting isn't easy Tuesday Toast - pay it forward Tuesday toast - Public programming Tuesday toast - the underground Tuesday toast - who doesn't want to be a billionaire? volunteer wheat free Wood Instruments Wordle #1 Wordle #1 winners Wordle #2 Wordle #2 winner Wordle #3 Wordle #3 winner Wordle #4 Wordle #4 winner Wordle #5 Wordle #5 winner Wordle #6 You can do all things Your body is a temple